Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I like a dessert store very much; they provide good desserts. Each time I feel tired and sick of the daily routine, I go there. I said.

The smell and sweetness of the dumplings free my mind and body from a day’s treadmill.

Is my sentence natural?

Are you talking about a specific "dessert store" (whatever that might be)?

Are you talking about a specific "dessert store" (whatever that might be)?

Yes, a specific dessert store. The store provides various desserts here and it's a good place to go and stay for a while.

Yes, a specific dessert store. The store provides various desserts [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] and it's a good place to go and stay for a while.

In that case, you need to start with "I like the dessert store at [location]/called [name] very much". It's a bit tautologous to go on to say that they provide good desserts. It's the only thing they sell so it's pretty obvious they're good. If they weren't, you wouldn't like the shop.

I've put down your sentence in my notebook, Ems. Do I need to edit it in my original post?

No. Please don't ever edit an original post once it has responses, unless you are specifically asked to do so by a responder. If you want to show us that you understand our comments and corrections, write a new response.

Hi.

I like the dessert store called Xiao Tang Tang very much they provide good desserts. Each time I feel tired and sick of the daily routine, I go there. I said.

The smell and sweetness of the dumplings free my mind and body from a day’s treadmill.

Is my sentence natural?

Oops, I made a mistake, sorry.

Hi.

I like the dessert store called Xiao Tang Tang very much. They provide good desserts. Each time I feel tired and sick of the daily routine, I go there. I said.

Is my sentence natural?

Try rewording the part in red. It's not natural. Also, please stop posting all in bold. It's actually quite difficult to read.

The smell and sweetness of the dumplings free my mind and body from a day's work.

Is this sentence natural?

When I said "dumplings", I referred to the dessert "sweet dumplings".

The smell and sweetness of the dumplings free my mind and body from a day's shackle.

Are my two Italic sentences natural?

Last edited:
"The smell and sweetness of the dumplings free my mind and body for/after a day's work."
That's a combination of the best. I haven't heard 'work' called 'shackle', though it may be somewhere.
Do you mean before work, or after work? Being freed from a day's work means that you get out of doing it.
The sentence refers to a strange concept though. If you mean that a dumpling can completely compensate you mentally and physically for a day's work, you are lucky!

Do you mean before work, or after work? Being freed from a day's work means that you get out of doing it.
The sentence refers to a strange concept though. If you mean that a dumpling can completely compensate you mentally and physically for a day's work, you are lucky!

I mean after I finish work, I go to the dessert shop to eat desserts. That makes me forget a day's work and unhappy things.

Is it possible to improve the sentence to make it sound more natural to you native speakers?

"The smell and sweetness of the dumplings [at the bakery] make me forget the worries of my day's work."

I didn't know that dumplings are called desserts and are sold in bakeries.

Dumplings are a Chinese dish, simliar to tortellini, consists of balls of dough with meat fillings, usually steamed or boiled and served in soup.

I didn't know that dumplings are called desserts and are sold in bakeries.

Dumplings are a Chinese dish, simliar to tortellini, consist[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] of balls of dough with meat fillings, usually steamed or boiled and served in soup.

Silver is talking about a kind she calls sweet dumplings.

Okay, that type is called tangyuan, the sticky, glutinous rice balls with bean paste filling served in sweet soup, but they are not sold in bakeries. There is a Chinese festival called the Winter Solstice festival where the sweet dumplings are eaten, to celebrate the occasion.

Last edited:
I get the feeling Silver is male, with a strong resemblance to Abraham Lincoln. [link]

Last edited:
The smell and sweetness of the dumplings clear my mind and make/help me get away from the daily grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back