Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
Hey guys,

Can you help me a find a better word for "forward-looking?" Context - there is this tech company that keeps up with existing threats but also uncovers new ones. So it truly provides "forward-looking" protection. Only I am not satisfied with the word. There has got to be a better one. Help?

I do not like the word "threats". Challenges?
I like "proactive". Also, "dynamic".

"Forward-looking" has become very common in recent years because it is enshrined in US law. When corporations report information to their shareholders, they must qualify speculations about the future as "forward-looking" as opposed to historical (i.e. actual) data.

Proactive, in my opinion, tends more towards "hoping to change the future."

Proactive, in my opinion, tends more towards "hoping to change the future.

No, that is not what proactive means. It is about taking an active role in making steps to prepare for things before they happen rather than responding to them after they happen. Whereas "forward-looking" is being optimistic, hoping but not being active.

"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proactive?s=t

Yes, but by taking those steps to prepare for things before they happen, they are hoping to change the future.

Instead of being in a future situation where they encounter a problem, then have to react and develop a solution, they're trying to create a future where they already have a solution for the problem if and when it does come along.

I don't think that taking pre-emptive in a situation to facilitate a better outcome can be considered changing the future. There are situations this is necessary since a reactive approach would be too late and would not work. One swallow does not make a summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back