Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is saying "See for yourself" informal? What is better way for using this phrase and what are alternatives to it?

It can be rude, depending on how it's said. Please describe a context in which you think you might use it. We can tell you whether it's appropriate and how else you could express the idea.

It can be rude, depending on how it's said. Please describe a context in which you think you might use it. We can tell you whether it's appropriate and how else you could express the idea.

The context is that I need to make a teaser for my product. So I want to keep a surprise element of features in it.
The teaser video starts with lists a few of our features and then it should say, 'is that all? Nope, download it now and see for yourself'.

Nope is informal. That is no reason not to use it- advertising is often informal- you're selling a product, not writing an academic essay.

If you're using words like 'Nope', you hardly need a more formal version of 'See for yourself'.

That's OK, though I'd put it like this "And that's not all. Download our X to see for yourself the full range of features that come with our product."
(I don't know what X is.)

I like that formulation. In it, "see for yourself" could optionally be replaced with "discover" and "to" with "and":

Download our X and discover the magic / the full range of features / how many things you can do (with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back