Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is it correct to write the following sentence?

1) The U.N.O. is the forlorn hope for world peace.

It's hard to be forlorn and hopeful at the same time. The word choice is odd but not necessarily wrong.

Tell us more about what you're trying to say.

It's hard to be forlorn and hopeful at the same time. The word choice is odd but not necessarily wrong.

Tell us more about what you're trying to say.

I'm trying to say that the U.N.O. makes attempt to keep peace all over the world in a desperate way, i.e., it is a desperate enterprise.

I'm trying to say that the U.N.O. [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] attempts to keep peace all over the world in a desperate way.

Can you explain what makes you say that they're doing it in a "desperate way"?

Yes. I agree with you. But can I use the term 'desperate enterprise' in that case? I think it may be odd in that sense, i.e., to keep peace.

Yes. I agree with you.

Your response to my question doesn't make sense. If someone asks you to explain your thinking behind a post, you can't answer with "Yes, I agree with you."

Your response to my question doesn't make sense. If someone asks you to explain your thinking behind a post, you can't answer with "Yes, I agree with you."

Yes.I understand that. Actually I was confused.May be I was wrong. Can you tell me how can I write that sentence using an appropriate idiomatic expression?

Yes, I understand that. Actually, I was confused. space here Maybe I was wrong. Can you tell me how can I write that sentence using an appropriate idiomatic expression?

Note my corrections above. No, I can't suggest a way of writing that sentence because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

What does UNO stand for? Do you mean UN instead?

What does UNO stand for? Do you mean UN instead?

I hadn't queried this yet, not least because this is the second time in two days I've seen "UNO" used instead of "UN". I kept meaning to check whether "United Nations Organisation" had somehow become an acceptable/new name for it, without my noticing.

I thought it was a variant of UFO. :-D

I hadn't queried this yet, not least because this is the second time in two days I've seen "UNO" used instead of "UN".
In French, and I imagine in some other languages, its common name is the equivalent of "UNO".

Or "the UN", pronounced "the yoo enn".

In French, and I imagine in some other languages, its common name is the equivalent of "UNO".

As The United Nations is committed to maintaining international peace and they are the last resort for resolving the issues related to world peace, was it incorrect to write that , 'The UNO is the forlorn hope for world peace'?

We are onto post 17 of the thread. If your original sentence from post #1 was right, do you think that we would still be here?

As The United Nations is committed to maintaining international peace and they are the last resort for resolving the issues related to world peace, was it incorrect to write that , 'The UNO is the forlorn hope for world peace'?
You could say that, but you'd have to establish whose hope it is — forlorn or otherwise. It doesn't work on its own. And don't call it the "UNO".

Not factually.

Yes, it was incorrect. That's not how we use forlorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back