Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A man was eating in a diner. He said something as he pushed a forkful of biscuits and gravy in his mouth.

Does "biscuit" here mean something like a "cookie". But he would eat it with gravy?

In America cookies are cookies and biscuits are biscuits.

Biscuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An American biscuit is similar to a scone and is commonly eaten with breakfast, laden with gravy or as a sandwich with eggs and meat and cheese.

As an Englishman holidaying in the USA, I soon discovered that 'biscuits and gravy' are unsweetened scones in white sauce.

Rover

Aww geez. If you have gravy that reminded you of white sauce, then it was pretty poor gravy.

An unsweetened scone is as good way to describe biscuits as any, I guess.

Agreeing with Barb....proper sausage gravy may be vaguely "whitish" in appearance, but it should have nice large chunks of delicious pork sausage (and I mean authentic, spicy pork sausage, not those British "bangers") in it. Having married a Southerner, I've learned to appreciate the hearty, soothing, deliciousness of biscuits and gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back