Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Which of the following are correct with the given meanings:

1-I forget his name.

Meaning: I cannot recall his name. I do not remember his name.

2-He forgets that man's name.

Meaning: He cannot recall her name.

3-I forgot his name when he came in through the door.

Meaning: When he came in through the door, I could not recall his name. His name had escaped my memory.

4-He forgot at that moment that he was the leader of a large enterprise.

Meaning: He had forgotten at the moment that he was the leader of a large enterprise.

5-She forgot just then that she had told a lie which contradicted what she was saying.

Meaning: She had forgotten just then that she had told a lie which contradicted what she was saying.

'Forget' could be a dynamic verb. '1' could mean 'I keep forgetting his name.' That is not the usage I have in mind. I want to see if these sentences would work if the stative meaning of 'forget' (be unable to recall) was intended.

Gratefully,
Navi.

Which of the following are correct with the given meanings:

1-I forget his name.
Meaning: I cannot recall his name. I do not remember his name.

Meaning: He cannot recall his name.

Meaning: When he came in through the door, I could not recall his name. His name had escaped my memory.

4-He forgot at that moment that he was the leader of a large enterprise.
Meaning: He had forgotten at the moment that he was the leader of a large enterprise.

5-She forgot just then that she had told a lie which contradicted what she was saying.
Meaning: She had forgotten just then that she had told a lie which contradicted what she was saying.

'Forget' could be a dynamic verb. '1' could mean 'I keep forgetting his name.' [No, it doesn't mean that. It just says that you can't remember now. Keep forgetting means repeatedly forget. "I keep forgetting" is the same as "I repeatedly forget."] That is not the usage I have in mind. I want to see if these sentences would work if the stative meaning of 'forget' (be unable to recall) was intended.

Gratefully,
Navi.

You're welcome.

Hi.:-D

Isn't the underlined part a complete, independent sentence? Why do we have had there, please?

It's the past perfect. The forgetting took place before the opening of the door.

Meaning: He cannot recall her name.

I would be more likely to use the present perfect when talking about someone else. I would use #1 when I couldn't remember the name at the time of speaking.

I agree. I would only use "He forgets that man's name" if it was a regular occurrence - "He forgets that man's name every time he meets him!" My grandfather always used "I forget [now]" instead of "I've forgotten".

The expression 'I forget his name', meaning 'I can't remember his name (on this one particular occasion)' does not sound natural with any other pronoun than 'I'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back