[General] For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the underlined sentence exactly means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidensuh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It is still amazing to me how the simple passing of time can totally alter a situation, solve problems, render other problems meaningless, cool down confrontations, and add a whole new perspective. Part of being opportunistic is waiting, like a cat in a forest, for an opportunity to come along. Learning to wait, learning to be patient, has so many applications and ramifications that it is difficult for me to give one or two examples without trivializing its importance. I would say, however, that in our twenty-old years in business, 90 percent of our successes have involved in some way the need for patience, and 90 percent of our failures have been caused in part by a lack of it.

--> For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the underlined sentence exactly means. I've been struggling with this for more than 30 minutes now. Please help me.
Why does the writer say that giving one or two examples without trivializing the importance of learning to wait is hard for him?
Does he mean it is very difficult not to trivialize the importance when he said "without trivializing its importance" ? If then, why?

I am not a teacher.

What he means is that 'learning to wait, learning to be patient…' is a complex matter, and that if he tried to explain it with only one or two examples it would make it all seem far more trivial than it actually is. This is what he doesn't want to do.

Now I understand what it means. Thank you so much. :D

There is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Well, I know there is a such button. I just wanted to personally thank the person for answering my question. Thank button seems inconsiderate to me.

Using the "Thank" button is not inconsiderate. It is a quick way to say "Thank you" directly to the poster of that comment, which also avoids the rest of us thinking there is a new question or some new information, wasting our time clicking through to the thread, scrolling down to the new post, only to find it just says "Thank you".

What would be more considerate in future, Aidensuh, would be to state the source and author of the text you are quoting.

Additionally, please note that a better title would have been Learning to wait, learning to be patient.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Wow... You can't say "thank you" here with words. In order to say thank you, you must press the "thank you" button. If you don't, you are wasting people's valuable time.
Whether to use the button or not, doesn't that depend on the users? I felt very grateful that I coudn't just simply press "thank you" button but had to say thank you.
Haven't it occured to you that you are making a big deal out of nothing?
What's more, you must state "the author and the source"? I'm not trying to write a thesis or a study nor plagiarize his work here.
Why is that neccesary when I am trying to learn a language and ask a simple language question?
And about the title, I just don't see why that is not an appropriate question logically and generally. It is not an appropriate question according to "your rule" here.

Most newbies find our rules, requests and guidelines reasonable and acceptable. The argumentative ones who don't like the way we do things here tend to go away and find other forums more to their liking.

Last edited:
And about the title, I just don't see why that is not an appropriate question logically and generally. It is not an appropriate question according to "your rule" here.

There is a purpose of giving a meaningful title to a new thread. A title that gives some clue as to the contents of a thread would bring up similar threads on the same subject/topic, which will be displayed at the bottom of the new thread. The additional information would be useful.

not a teacher

Your original question has been answered and you are aware now that you must quote your sources and that, to save time, the "Thank" button is the preferred option.

It's time to move on.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back