Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Remarkably clever, especially in technology, medicine, or science, but sarcastic, these Knights are easily offended and slow to forgive. However they can be a tremendous force for good if wisely directed. (A Little Bit of Tarot: An Introduction to Reading Tarot by Cassandra Eason)

1. I don't understand the sentence structure of the first sentence. Why "remarkably clever, especially in technology, medicine, or science, but sarcastic" can be placed at the beginning of the sentence?

2. I am not sure the meaning of 'wisely directed". Does the second sentence mean if the Knights are wisely guided, they will do good deeds?

Remarkably clever, especially in technology, medicine, or science, but sarcastic, these Knights are easily offended and slow to forgive.

1. The blue part is a long adjective phrase prefacing the main content of the sentence. The red part is the sentence's subject and the green part is the predicate. The blue part describes the red part.

2. Basically, yes.

Last edited:
Can I say "clever, these Knights...."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back