Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is there any difference in meaning between the two sentences? Are they both correct?

1- John, could you please donate some money for the construction of this school.

2- John, could you please donate some money for constructing this school.

Is there any difference in meaning between the two sentences? Are they both correct?

1. John, could you please donate some money for the construction of this school?
2. John, could you please donate some money for constructing this school?

Note that I have added the correct closing punctuation to both. Now that that's fixed, I can tell you that #1 is grammatically correct and #2 is not. I don't find #1 particularly natural, though. It's odd to say "this school" to refer to something that hasn't been built yet. Saying "this school" suggests you are standing in/at the school in question or you are pointing at it. Neither of those are possible if it has yet to be built. I would expect something like the following:

John, could you make a donation to the fund to construct a new primary school in Harpertown?

If you want to mention the purpose of something, it's a good idea to use an infinitive verb instead of a gerund:

Here's some money to buy some groceries.
Would you like to contribute some money to help with the costs?

You could also say:
John, could you please donate some money to our school building fund?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone. My question is a little different. I know gerund can be used after for. I also have noticed that sometimes nouns are also used after for. So are the both the following sentences mean the same.

1- John, you were by my side in my tough times. Thanks for the support.

2- John, you were by my side in my tough times. Thanks for supporting.

Thank you everyone. My question is a little different. I know a gerund can be used after "for". I have also [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] noticed that sometimes nouns are also used after "for". So [STRIKE]are the[/STRIKE] do both the following sentences mean the same?

1- John, you were by my side in my tough times. Thanks for the support.

2- John, you were by my side in my tough times. Thanks for supporting me.
They do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back