Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is the difference between "a consecutive", "the consecutive"?

1- Rajasthan Royals secured a huge 45-run win over a hapless Pune Warriors who have now suffered an eight consecutive defeat/an eighth consecutive defeat/ the eighth consecutive defeat in IPL 5.

2- Euro zone economic sentiment edged lower for an eight consecutive month/the eighth consecutive month/an eighth consecutive month in August, pulled down by less optimism in industry and services, a monthly survey by the European Commission showed on Thursday.

1. They have suffered eight consecutive defeats or an eighth consecutive defeat.

2. for an eighth consecutive month or the eighth consecutive month

I'd be more likely to use "the" for the second one. (I don't know why.)

1- Rajasthan Royals secured a huge 45-run win over a hapless Pune Warriors who have now suffered an eight consecutive defeat/an eighth consecutive defeat/ the eighth consecutive defeat in IPL 5.
an eighth
for an eighth consecutive month/the eighth consecutive month/an eighth consecutive month in August,
Both the "and" and "the" versions work. You need "eighth", not "eight". As for why, you have to get a feel for it. I can't explain.

Last edited:
1. They have suffered right consecutive defeats or an eighth consecutive defeat.

2. for an eighth consecutive month or the eighth consecutive month

I'd be more likely to use "the" for the second one. (I don't know why.)

Yep. An eighth consecutive defeat, but the eighth consecutive month. Hard to say why. I think because each loss is a new thing, so needs the indefinte to introduce it, which a trend continuing is one definite thing that is already in existence.

an eighth

Both the "and" and "the" versions work. You need "eighth", not "eight". As for why, you have to get a feel for it. I can't explain.
Thank you Barque. What about these ones? I am getting puzzled because my teacher taught me I should use first, second, third and so on with 'the'. In an previous post you told me it is not right always but I can figure out the rule.

- Virat Kohli has scored a/the third consecutive hundred in this series.

- Barrack Obama was elected to be the president of The U.S for an/the second consecutive time.

- Virat Kohli has scored a/the third consecutive hundred in this series.
Kohli has scored a third consecutive hundred in this series.
Kohli has scored a hundred in each of his last three innings/matches.

Kohli has scored the third consecutive hundred in this series.
There have been three hundreds scored in this series, one after the other, in each of the last three matches or last three innings.
Kohli scored the third.
The first and second may have been scored by Kohli, or they may have been scored by Umesh Yadav or Nathan Lyon or Steve Smith or whoever.

- Barrack Obama was elected to be the president of The U.S for an/the second consecutive time.
a second consecutive time

Last edited:
In case you haven't realised, the references to Yadav and Lyon were a joke. I know they're unlikely to score centuries. Substitute Warner and Pujara if you like. I don't want to confuse you.

@thehammer
I suggest:

What about these?

Or:

What about these sentences?

a second consecutive time
I'd be more likely to use the here. I'd use a with term. I think time may be the same as SoothingDave's distinction between defeat and month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back