Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can't imagine how could one "flush through tree lines". What does it mean? Forge through?
"One or two dozen marines ventured kilometers into the farmland, off the roads, jumping over ditches, wading in canals, flushing through tree lines, navigating the maze of walled Pashtun village compounds." Source: The American War in Afghanistan by Carter Malkasian

To flush is to cause quarry to break cover. For example, dogs are used to flush game birds such as pheasants, grouse, and quail so that they can be shot.

@meliss Were they looking for enemy soldiers?

I guess flush here just means something like 'move fluidly'. The soldiers flushed through the trees like water flushes through a system of pipes. Whether their mission involved eliminating enemy soldiers is unclear from the context.

Probus is correct in regards to startling quarry or prey. Where I live, pheasant and quail hunting are major (seasonal) activities. Because we have lot of wide open fields, it can be very difficult for an individual to flush out the birds - they'll simply run around behind you or off to one side while staying under the cover of the crops. They're smart enough to know that they have a better chance of surviving by evasion than by outright flight, because they're targets in the air. Not only is it much harder to see them close to the ground, it's also illegal and unethical to shoot flight birds on the ground.

It's common practice to get a group of people to walk side by side, spaced widely enough apart to flush a large portion of the field at once. This only allows the birds to move forwards towards the end of the field, and not slip around behind you. When the birds reach the end of the field, they'll then typically take to the air because they no longer have cover to hide in. Once they're airborne, the males can then be shot at.

The same practice applies to many kinds of game- drive it from cover, forcing it to expose itself, where it can be shot or captured. Even when you don't wish to kill or injure the animal, but merely capture for relocation, the same idea of flushing applies. If it's hidden in cover, you can't deal with it. Expose it, and you can take action.

In the case of combat, hidden combatants can shoot at you without you being able to shoot back. You then need to flush them out by some means.

In this case, the Marines would have been using an approach similar to my pheasant hunting - walking abreast spaced out at intervals to not only cover more ground, but reducing the likelihood of one attack hurting multiple Marines at once. They were trying to flush out the enemy, just like pheasants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back