Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone is looking out the window of a car and things pass through their vision. Can I use "flicker"?

Is this okay?

Jane settled on the backseat, resting her head on the headrest. Thick forests and mountain slopes flickered past her window as she played the events of the last night in her head.

I want to say someone is looking out the window of a car and things pass through their vision line of sight. Can I use "flicker"?

Is this okay?

Jane settled [down] on the backseat, resting her head on the headrest. Thick forests and mountain slopes flickered past her window as she replayed the events of the last previous night in her head.

See above. The repetition of "rest/headrest" is a little awkward. Consider using "leaning" instead.
I've added "down" to the first sentence simply because "to settle on" generally means "to choose".

See above. The repetition of "rest/headrest" is a little awkward. Consider using "leaning" instead.
I've added "down" to the first sentence simply because "to settle on" generally means "to choose".
Is it correct to say "lean against"?

Jane settled down on the backseat, leaning against the headrest. Thick forests and mountain slopes flickered past her window as she replayed the events of the previous night in her head.

Candlelight flickers with air movement. Scenes and images flash pass one's sight.

I think flicker can be used for that situation because emsr2d2 has confirmed it.

I have no problem with it. When a car is travelling at speed, and is going past things so fast that they eye can't focus on them all the time, our focus tends to flick from one thing to another.

It doesn't hit the spot for me at all.

A forest is too big to be said to flicker past, however fast your car's going through or alongside it — a line of individual trees, maybe, but not a forest.

Likewise, you'd need to be going at warp speed for mountains to appear to flicker by.

It doesn't hit the spot for me at all.

A forest is too big to be said to flicker past, however fast your car's going through or alongside it — a line of individual trees, maybe, but not a forest.

Likewise, you'd need to be going at warp speed for mountains to appear to flicker by.
That's a very fair point. I was thinking of the way that single trees or lampposts seem to flicker in your vision as the car speeds past them. However, you're right. Forests and mountain ranges are too extensive for that.

What about this?

Jane settled down on the backseat, leaning against the headrest. Tall birches and flickered past her window as she replayed the events of the previous night in her head.

Tall birches and … what?
Jane settled down on the backseat, leaning against the headrest. Tall birches flickered past her window as she replayed the events of the previous night in her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back