Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear sir, The other day I heard on TV, during a political discussion, one of the speakers (BJP member) rebutting the opponent by saying: " they (the Congress people) are fishing in deep waters". I couldn't find this idiom in any dictionary. Is it an idiom? If so, what is it's meaning. I couldn't guess its meaning through context.

Dear sir, The other day I heard on TV, during a political discussion, one of the speakers (BJP member) rebutting the opponent by saying: " they (the Congress people) are fishing in deep waters". I couldn't find this idiom in any dictionary. Is it an idiom? If so, what is it's meaning. I couldn't guess its meaning through context.

It's not an idiom. It doesn't make sense to me.

My "guess"/inference would be that the Congress is or would be getting into a much more detailed study or investigation than they would anticipate or desire.

(to) fish in troubled waters

Fig.
to involve oneself in a difficult, confused, or dangerous situation, especially with a view to gaining an advantage.
a) Frank is fishing in troubled waters by buying more shares of that company. They are supposed to be in financial difficulties.
b) The company could make more money by selling armaments abroad, but they would be <b>fishing in troubled waters</b>.

waters - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

(to) be in deep water

to be in a difficult situation which is hard to deal with
We're going to be in deep water if the bank refuses to authorize a bigger loan.

To figure this one out, we'll need some more context. What was the discussion about? Who was blaming whom?

In my opinion, the Congress is doing something dangerous, something that can cause a storm of indignation on the part of the people of the United States.
I'm guessing they're talking about the US government's monitoring of everyone's Internet activities, etc.

In my opinion, the Congress is doing something dangerous, something that can cause a storm of indignation on the part of the people of the United States.
I'm guessing they're talking about the US government's monitoring of everyone's Internet activities, etc.
I doubt it. The BJP party is in India.

I see - should've checked it.

Yes, this is about the Congress Party in India, not the US Congress. A BJP leader, on a TV discussion, told Indian congress Party leader (another panelist on discussion panel) when the latter criticized the surfacing rift in BJP over issue of Modi and Advani.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back