Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
First, her Facebook account disappeared. There is no doubt that there was a terrific beauty of a literal disappearance in it. Like a power blackout in a deep dark night. Your bed, your cloth rack, your ashtray, table with books all over it… A moment ago everything was there … But not anymore. Just like that, a moment ago she was keeping youth eyes glued to her with her usual mysterious, amorous smile, and boom, she is gone. Her non-exitance was much deeper and heavier than her existence has ever been. It started to feel like that the whole cyberspace was devastated by the pain of a deep bereave, definite non-existence. Like the Luver after the Mon Lisa has vanished.

What do you think of this as the starting paragraph of a novel? Appreciate your opinions.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
First, her Facebook account disappeared. [STRIKE]There is no doubt that there was a terrific beauty of a literal disappearance in it.[/STRIKE] That was pretty dramatic, like a power blackout [STRIKE]in a deep[/STRIKE] on a dark night. Your bed, your clothes rack, your ashtray, table with books all over it - all suddenly invisible. [STRIKE]moment ago everything was there But not anymore.[/STRIKE] Just like that, a moment [STRIKE]ago[/STRIKE] before, she was keeping youth eyes glued to her with her usual mysterious, amorous smile, and then boom; she is gone. Her non-exitance was much deeper and heavier than her existence has ever been. It started to feel for her followers [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] that the whole cyberspace was devastated by the pain of a deep bereavement - a final and permanent loss, [STRIKE]definite non-existence.[/STRIKE] like the Louvre after the Mona Lisa [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] vanished.

What do you think of this as the starting paragraph of a novel? I appreciate your opinions.

Thank you.
See corrections above.
I don't understand the underlined sentence.

It's an interesting start. You'll need to do some work to reel it in. A few things.

1. The second sentence has me flummoxed.

2. A blackout isn't very dramatic when the night is already deep and dark.

3. And when did the Mona Lisa vanish?

See corrections above.
I don't understand the underlined sentence.

Me neither. I don't think exitance is even a word.

Correction: I see that exitance is indeed a valid word, but it's obviously not appropriate in this context.

Her nonexistence was much deeper and heavier than her existence had ever been.

I don't know how you can equate the deletion of somebody's Facebook account with the deletion of a person.

If you've ever tried to delete your Facebook account (as I have) you will know that it is impossible. Facebook is like the mafia: once you've joined you can never leave. :cry:

Me neither. I don't think exitance is even a word.

Correction: I see that exitance is indeed a valid word, but it's obviously not appropriate in this context.
It sounds like a cross between and exit and an entrance.

Nidahasa, are you still here?

If you've ever tried to delete your Facebook account (as I have) you will know that it is impossible. Facebook is like the mafia: once you've joined you can never leave. :cry:

I am having problems right now with Facebook. I bought a new phone, and the Facebook app that came with the phone had somebody else's account--a fake one. I got them to remove the fake account, but they still think I am that person. ::-(

I am having problems right now with Facebook. I bought a new phone, and the Facebook app that came with the phone had somebody else's account--a fake one. I got them to remove the fake account, but they still think I am that person. ::-(

That suggests to me that it was a refurbished phone or at least one that someone had briefly owned and then returned. If that's not how it was advertised, whoever you bought it from should replace it with a brand new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back