Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please tell me, what is the difference between fields inspected and inspected fields in below mentioned sentences?

1) Members of the phylum Nematoda found in the fields inspected consist of 49 genera.
2) Members of the phylum Nematoda found in the inspected fields consist of 49 genera.

Please tell me, what is the difference between fields inspected and inspected fields in below mentioned sentences?

1) Members of the phylum Nematoda found in the fields inspected consist of 49 genera.
2) Members of the phylum Nematoda found in the inspected fields consist of 49 genera.
***NOT A TEACHER***sergtab, good afternoon. I, too, am very eager for the answer. As I am typing this, no one else has answered yet, so may I start? (1) Your question is great. (2) I can only share what little I understand. (3) Sometimes it doesn't matter where the adjective is. It sometimes follows the noun simply because the writer likes the rhythm of the sentence that way. For example, in your first sentence, one would pronounce INSPECTED louder (more loudly!) than fields. In your second sentence, just the opposite. (4) My books tell me the postposition (after the noun) = a temporary situation; before the noun = a permanent situation. (5) For example: The inspected areas of a restaurant might be the dining room, kitchen, and storeroom. This is a permanent situation. Every inspector is supposed to inspect these areas. (6) Let's say the inspector returns to the office. His boss says, "Did you check the inspected areas?" The inspector says, "No, sir. I didn't have time to check all the inspected areas, just some of them." The boss replies: "Well, then, tell me. What were the conditions in the areas (that were) inspected? = a temporary situation, Refers to perhaps only the kitchen, for the inspector did not have time to check all the inspected areas required by law. So in your first sentence, I guess it means something like the areas (that were actually) inspected this time. I don't want to guess about your second sentence, for I don't want to give you any wrong ideas. Let's hope someone soon gives you and me a good answer. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back