Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

How do you describe this person who would always try to impress you by exaggerating about a situation they were involved in, or tells you small lies just to be noticed and thought highly of? (The example being when they tell you they had dinner with a celeb, while they've never met one!)

In case 'bullshitter' is the right choice, then, is there any polite word used for the same person?

Many thanks!

"Bullsh*tter" is a blunt term but in certain company it would be considered a very appropriate one for someone who behaves like that. However, it also has a more general meaning of someone who just regularly tells lies or speaks nonsense.
In Australia, the term for exactly the type of person you describe is a "big-noter".
"He's always big-noting himself, going on about his famous friends and how much money he makes".
I'm not sure if this term is used much outside of Aust.

not a teacher

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply! 'Big-noting' sounds great! I suppose it must mean the same as 'bragging', mustn't it? And what if the story the person tells us hasn't happened at all, or we can't believe it because it doesn't add up?

I should have made my example suggest that such big-noting is often a highly exaggerated version of the reality. As you say, it can just be plain boasting, but a lot of bullsh*tting is often involved.
"He's always big-noting himself, going on about his famous friends and how much money he makes, and most of it's crap".
People who try to give the impression that they lead a more exciting or glamorous life than they actually do are sometimes said to be "a legend in their own lunchtime', a variation on "legend in their own lifetime" that makes fun of their boasting and self-promotion.

not a teacher

That's really helpful! Thank you a lot dear Jmurry!

In Australia, the term for exactly the type of person you describe is a "big-noter".
"He's always big-noting himself, going on about his famous friends and how much money he makes".
I'm not sure if this term is used much outside of Aust.

I've never heard it here in the UK.

Rover

Thanks! Then, any similar or more polite term in BrE, please? (compared to Bull***er?)Cheers!

You could say that he bigs himself up.

Such a great verb! Ta!

Here, he's full of hot air.

The posts in this thread were all helpful! We've learnt a lot...Lots of thanks to you all!

(Not a Teacher)

Never heard of 'big-noting' here in the States either, so it must be an Australian/New Zealander thing.

'Big mouth' is a word that comes to mind. 'Silver-tongued devil' is another, but that implies an artful liar more than it does a harmless boaster. As for a 'polite' alternative, I think you've already mentioned them: 'Fibber' and 'braggart'. There isn't a particularly nice word for these types of folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back