Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
May I ask the differences between 'feeling' and 'feelings'?

Thank you.

Please write at least one full sentence containing one or both of these words.

1. It was such a nice feeling to be home again.

2. She has deep feelings about what her father said.

3. She expressed warm feelings toward her mum.

Is 'feeling' talking about how one feels from the environment and 'feelings is reflecting one's emotions?

Your sentences are perfectly good.

Your sentences are perfectly good.

Are my understandings that 'feeling' talking about how one feels from the environment and 'feelings is reflecting one's emotions correct?

What's the difference between 'feeling' and 'feelings'?

Ah, a usage question! (Not an easy one either.)

The difference is subtle. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Are my understandings that 'feeling' talking about how one feels from the environment and 'feelings is reflecting one's emotions correct?

I don't understand the first part, but talking about your feelings is definitely talking about your emotions.

May I ask the differences between 'feeling' and 'feelings'?
1. It was such a nice feeling to be home again.

2. She has deep feelings about what her father said.

3. She expressed warm feelings toward her mum.

Is 'feeling' talking about how one feels from the environment and 'feelings is reflecting one's emotions?
[strike]Are[/strike] Is my [strike]understandings[/strike] understanding that 'feeling' is talking about how one feels from the environment and 'feelings' [strike]is reflecting[/strike] reflects one's emotions correct?
Each of your three examples uses "feeling(s)" as a count noun, where "feeling" is singular and is preceded by "a," and "feelings" is plural.

In its countable sense, "feeling" relates to emotions or sensations. In its noncount sense, "feeling" means "sensitivity." Examples of "feeling" (noncount):

4. He plays the piece with feeling.

5. He has no feeling in his right arm.

Feeling such feelings feels fulfilling. ;-)

To complicate things, the singular can be used when talking about an emotion. Like "When I saw my daughter graduate medical school, a great feeling washed over me."

Feelings are more complex.

Each of your three examples uses "feeling(s)" as a count noun, where "feeling" is singular and is preceded by "a," and "feelings" is plural.

In its countable sense, "feeling" relates to emotions or sensations. In its noncount sense, "feeling" means "sensitivity." Examples of "feeling" (noncount):

4. He plays the piece with feeling.

5. He has no feeling in his right arm.

Since 4 and 5 are the examples of non count 'feeling', would you mind giving me the examples of countable 'feeling'?

Since 4 and 5 are [no article] examples of non count 'feeling', would you mind giving [no article] examples of countable 'feeling'?

I have a feeling he's not telling the truth.

It's just a feeling, but I think he's lying.

Last edited:
Here's another.

It's just a feeling, but I know I'm right.

"She spoke with feeling about the plight of the homeless."
"She still had a lot of feeling for David."
"There was a lot of bad feeling between the two groups of students."

Online OXFORD Collocation Dictionary

Are all three grammatical? Is feeling uncountable in all three?

Last edited:
Yes to both questions. I would think twice, and then think again, before disagreeing with any part of the OED family.

Yes to both questions. I would think twice, and then think again, before disagreeing with any part of the OED family.

Just wanted to make sure. I sometimes mistake gerunds for uncountables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back