Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are these sentences correct?

If I remember, your daughter Ling will be home for Christmas this weekend. I wish you have a wonderful father-daughter time. It is wonderful that she is home and you both can celebrate Christmas together. I am sure you both have lots to catch up having not seen each other for almost a year.

Are these sentences correct?

If I remember correctly/rightly, your daughter Ling will be coming home for Christmas this weekend. I [STRIKE]wish[/STRIKE] hope you have [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] wonderful father-daughter time. It is [STRIKE]wonderful[/STRIKE] great that she [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] will be home and you [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] can celebrate Christmas together. I am sure you [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] have lots to catch up on, having not seen each other for almost a year.

See my corrections above.

I would keep the article before the first "wonderful".

I find "a wonderful father-daughter time" unnatural. I would find "a wonderful time" OK but, for me, the uncountable "father-daughter time" sounds better.

How about some wonderful father-daughter time?

I find "a wonderful father-daughter time" unnatural.
To me, the version without the article sounds unnatural. I mean leaving out the adjectival "father-daughter" would leave "I hope you have wonderful time"; and that doesn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back