Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148]Cambridge is famous as the City of Colleges/Universities.
There are many academic episodes in the city, and many historical points/places as well.

Are the underlined correct?[/FONT]

"City of Colleges" s capitalized only if it is an established name.

I would use "historical attractions".

What's an "academic episode"?

It's in another thread like this.

[FONT=&#48148] I visited the pub (The Eagle) to have dinner, It's near the Cavendish Laboratory, which is famous for its many Nobel prize winners. So many physicists visit the pub to discuss things with each other.[/FONT]

You can just say:
It is a popular meeting place for physician. (What people do at the pub is understood. I am sure they do not just talk shop).

[FONT=&#48148] I visited the pub (The Eagle) to have dinner, It's near the Cavendish Laboratory, which is famous for its many Nobel Prize winners. Many physicists visit the pub to discuss things with each other.[/FONT]

I assume that they visited that pub because it was nearby. And for the ale. Or Guinness. Or beer.
:)

(I made a quick check of the internet. It's Nobel Prize.)

You can just say:
It is a popular meeting place for physicists. (What people do at the pub is understood. I am sure they do not just talk shop).

Rocket scientists, Ted, not doctors.
:)

I visited the pub (The Eagle) to have dinner, It's near the Cavendish Laboratory, which is famous for its many Nobel prize winners. So many physicists visit the pub to discuss things with each other.

That doesn't explain to me what it is.

I think he means an academic episode is two or more academics discussing academic subjects with each other.
;-)

I think he means an academic episode is two or more academics discussing academic subjects with each other.
;-)
It also includes that many Nobel prizes winners in Physics are from the Cavendish lab.

It also means that many Nobel Prize winners in Physics are from the Cavendish lab.

But that doesn't make their conversations academic episodes. They're just conversations. They may lead to something really big, but just as likely nothing noteworthy will come of them.

I wouldn't use that phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back