Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You could add faces before white but it's not essential. I'd also add 'open' after 'wide'.

(That joke made me laugh out loud. :loling:)

Thanks, Rover and GoesStation.

See above.

Hi, GoesStation. Do you mean the original sentence can be reworded as this?

Approaching the car, he notices that there are five old ladies--two in the front seat and three in the back--eyes wide and face white as ghosts.

I think the word ‘faces’ [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is omitted before the word ‘white’.
See above.

Hi, GoesStation. Do you mean the original sentence can be reworded [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] like this?

Approaching the car, he notices that there are five old ladies--two in the front seat and three in the back--eyes wide and faces white as ghosts.
No. "See above" means "Look at the text just above this line." I changed "are" to "is" when I quoted your post because the subject of your sentence was "the word ‘faces’", which is singular. You can tell it's singular because it begins "the word"; that phrase can only refer to a single word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back