[General] ...expressed her acquiescence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Jingying excused herself so that she could attend to the cooking, which was almost finished. A short time later she called for Gan to help her. Gan said, “She called you mother. I didn’t expect that.”

Jingying replied. “We are in unusual circumstances; a minor inappropriateness has become perfectly acceptable. Her choice to call me mother demonstrates her acceptance of fate, as for her love of Yang. It isn’t new, just different, having evolved from a long friendship. Let’s allow things to proceed in their own way. We have interfered enough.”

Gan remarked, “I agree.”

Dinner came in an assortment of serving plates and dishes placed on the Lazy Susan, a Lazy Susan being a circular platform that rotates the food around the table for convenience. The conversation was light, and when Qingmei mentioned Lanhua’s dreams, Gan steered the conversation back to less controversial things. “We can talk about those things another time, for now let's just get to know each other more broadly and less specifically.”

Qingmei expressed her acquiescence with a nod. “Then, could you tell me about the city you and your people came from?”

Jingying said, “Yes, though it will take more than one dinner to tell you everything. How about we begin with a general description, I promise you, even that will be interesting, and much of it hard to believe, even Lanhua has not heard all there is to hear.”

Last edited:
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Jingying excused herself so that she could attend to the cooking, which was almost finished. A short time later she called for Gan to help her. Gan said, “She called you Mother. I didn’t expect that.”

Jingying replied. “We are in unusual circumstances; a minor inappropriateness has become perfectly acceptable. Her choice to call me Mother demonstrates her acceptance of fate and for her love of Yang. It isn’t new, just different. It evolved from a long friendship. Let’s allow things to proceed in their own way. We have interfered enough.”

Gan said, “I agree.”

Dinner came in an assortment of serving plates and dishes placed on the lazy Susan[STRIKE], a Lazy Susan being a circular platform that rotates the food around the table for convenience[/STRIKE]. The conversation was light, and when Qingmei mentioned Lanhua’s dreams, Gan steered the conversation back to less controversial things. “We can talk about those things another time. For now let's just get to know each other more broadly and less specifically.”

Qingmei expressed her acquiescence with a nod. “Then[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] could you tell me about the city you and your people came from?”

Jingying said, “Yes, though it will take more than one dinner to tell you everything. How about we begin with a general description? I promise you, even that will be interesting, and much of it hard to believe, even Lanhua has not heard all there is to hear.”
English speakers know what a lazy Susan is. In general, it's not good form to tell readers what a word you used means, even if the word is uncommon.

Why is the language so formal? For instance:

- "a minor inappropriateness has become perfectly acceptable" versus her familiarity is fine

- "expressed her acquiescence" versus agreed

Are these the villagers in the cave? Can you tell us more about when and where this is happening and who the people are? That will help us understand what's going on.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The story happened about 7000 years ago. There were two groups of people or rather two tribes involved in the story. One tribe was more advanced in terms of technology but both had unique cultures. One day, the tribe with more advanced technology decided to migrate to the east because of the invasion of its enemy. They met the other tribe on the way and then settled down. So the life of these two tribes interwined and many things happened afterwards. Yang's family belonged to the tribe with the more advanced technology and Qingmei's family belonged to the other.

Last edited:
The story happened about 7000 years ago. There were two groups of people or rather two tribes involved in the story. One tribe was more advanced in terms of technology but both had unique cultures. One day, the tribe with more advanced technology decided to migrate to the east because of the invasion of its enemy. They met the other tribe on the way and then settled down. So the life of these two tribes interwined and many things happened afterwards. Yang's family belonged to the tribe with the more advanced technology and Qingmei's family belonged to the other.
Aha! That helps a lot. Thanks!

tribe with more advanced technology - tribe which was more developed?

We don't talk about technology thousands of years ago.

I would put a comma each after "people" and "rather".

Invasion by its enemy.

We don't talk about technology thousands of years ago.

Yes, we do. That's a highly appropriate word, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back