... says that people often "express" their identity through the kind of music they listen to

ahhmyeyes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This question is taken from my national high school exam.
.....According to a recent research from a university in Edinburgh, it is.
Professor North, one of the researchers, says that people often express their identity through the kind of music they listen to, the kind of clothes they wear and their hobbies and interests
The word "express" in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to _____

A. communicate
B. popularise
C. hide
D. deny
I was wondering why the answer is not B but A. In Cambridge dictionary, "popularise" means "to make something known or understood to ordinary people". So is there a chance B is also the correct answer?

Despite that definition, in this context they're not popularising their identity. They're communicating it to others by way of their preferred music, clothes, hobbies and interest.

In According to the Cambridge Dictionary, "popularise" means "to make something known or understood to ordinary people".
That sense of "popularize" means to make something less exclusive; i.e. to make it more accessible to a wide range of people.
Do you see now why it's not the correct answer?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back