Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Want to understand why the following statement should have "exceeds" and not "exceed". The subject is candidates which is plural. Please advise. Thanks

"Is there a possibility if I can be accommodated on the same day even if the number of candidates exceeds?"

Is there a possibilty that I can be accommodated ...?

You can't use if in this sentence.

I want to understand why the following statement [STRIKE]should have[/STRIKE] uses "exceeds" and not "exceed". The subject is "candidates", which is plural. Please [STRIKE]advise[/STRIKE] explain it to me. Thanks.

"Is there a possibility if I can be accommodated on the same day even if the number of candidates exceeds?"

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above.

Where did you find that sentence? It is poorly written. Not only should it be "that", not "if", but the sentence can't just end with the word "exceeds". It would have to end with something like "even if the number of candidates exceeds 50/100/the maximum".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back