English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi ,

I am an english private tutor and one of my high school student has exam question :
"Let me know if there is anything I should do"
That statement should be changed to passive voice.

Can anyone help ? Please your advise

Thank You

Hi ,

I am an english private tutor and one of my high school student has exam question :
That statement should be changed to passive voice.

Can anyone help ? Please your advise

Thank You
There's no sensible way to make that sentence passive. So I suggest that it shouldn't be changed to the passive voice.
There are three clauses: i) Let me know ii) if there is anything iii) [that] I should do.

If proper English isn't a factor, you could change the first and/or third clauses: "Let it be known by me if there is anything that should be done by me."

Thank you for your prompt response.

I think proper english is not a factor as that question is not made by native english speaker.

Sometimes I think that question is not really correct, as something is used for positive sentences, and anything is used for negative/interrogative sentences

instead of

it should be
"Let me know if there is something I should do"

Please correct me if I am wrong...
Thank You

Thank you for your prompt response.

I think proper english is not a factor as that question is not made by native english speaker.
That would have been my guess too. There seems to be a fetish among non-native speakers for making passive sentences out of non-passivable sentences.

Sometimes I think that question is not really correct, as something is used for positive sentences, and anything is used for negative/interrogative sentences
Anything is also appropriate in this context.
instead of

it should be
"Let me know if there is something I should do"
That sentence is also correct. They are both possible, and they mean the same in this context.
Please correct me if I am wrong...
Thank You
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back