Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How common is it to say "everything and the kitchen sink"? Is is something that is "lame" to say?

Is it more common than "everything from soup to nuts"?

Have I used it correctly and naturally in these sentences?

1. They sell everything and the kitchen sink in this [online] store.

2. They talked about everything and the kitchen sink.

3. This book covers everything and the kitchen sink about cooking.

4. He packed up everything and the kitchen sink and moved out of the house after their divorce.

5. You can find everything and the kitchen sink in the bazaar.

6. He is a handy man. He can fix everything and the kitchen sink.

7. His French is great. He can say everything and the kitchen sink in that language.

Last edited:
The expression I am familiar with is "everything but the kitchen sink. However, it's clear that "everything and the k.s." must mean absolutely everything. A similar expression that I am fond of is "Everybody and his (their) dog."

"Everything from soup to nuts" is much more common where I live (Toronto).

The expression I am familiar with is "everything but the kitchen sink. However, it's clear that "everything and the k.s." must mean absolutely everything. A similar expression that I am fond of is "Everybody and his (their) dog."

"Everything from soup to nuts" is much more common where I live (Toronto).

Thanks. What do you think about the 7 examples in post #1?

Clever writing could allow for and, but your texts need "but". Not that they're not clever. :)

Clever writing could allow for and, but your texts need "but". Not that they're not clever. :)

You mean if I use "but" instead of "and", the sentences are fine?

You mean if I use "but" instead of "and", the sentences are fine?

Yes except for 2., 3., and 7. the expression is used when referring to objects, and in 6. if he is handy, why exclude the "kitchen sink" ?

Both expressions are old and tired. (And yes, it's but the kitchen sink.)

If you want to use and, a tired British expression is all that and a bag of chips.

Both expressions are old and tired. (And yes, it's but the kitchen sink.)

If you want to use and, a tired British expression is all that and a bag of chips.

So, what idiom should I use?

So, what cliche should I use?
Actually, I use old, tired cliches all the time. (But I'm old and tired.)

PS -

Those aren't idioms. Look up the words idiom, expression, and cliche to see how they're different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back