Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In a motivational article I read the following: "Every pitch is a new game." I presume it's a metaphor related to cricket but I haven't got a clue about the game thus am at a loss understanding the meaning. Can someone help?

In baseball, a pitch is when the thrower (pitcher) throws the ball at the batter. Each pitch is a new start of play.

In baseball, a pitch is when the thrower (pitcher) throws the ball at the batter.
It's not unknown for a pitcher to do that, but it violates the rules and can cause the pitcher to be thrown out of the game.

Pitchers normally aim at the strike zone which is adjacent to the batter.

It's not unknown for a pitcher to do that, but it violates the rules and can cause the pitcher to be thrown out of the game.

Pitchers normally aim at the strike zone which is adjacent to the batter.

Ok, but what does the original statement mean in a "non-cricket" (or "non-baseball") English?

Ok, but what does the original statement mean in a "non-cricket" (or "non-baseball") English?
The quote is from baseball, not cricket (where I believe a pitch is the field on which the game is played). It encourages players to forget what has come before and treat each pitch as if it were the whole game. Metaphorically it means "focus on the present; don't get distracted by past events."

The word pitch (from baseball) is also used to mean a sales presentation. "Every pitch is a new game" could mean that every time a salesperson meets a new client and presents his/her proposal, they should treat it as something different, something new, and not a routine.

It's not cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back