Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not flinched ...

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Since our return we have all constantly worked to discourage antarctic exploration, and have kept certain doubts and guesses to ourselves with splendid unity and faithfulness. Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not flinched or babbled to his doctors — indeed, as I have said, there is one thing he thinks he alone saw which he will not tell even me, though I think it would help his psychological state if he would consent to do so.
Source: "At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft

I'm a bit confused about the word "flinched" in this context. I don't see any definition on the wordref site that could fit this. How should I interpret this?

And also, from a grammatical aspect, does "flinch" here goes with "doctor", like the word "babble"? I don't think "flinch" goes with the preposition "to", but the way the phrase "flinched or babbled" is structured make it look like they both aim toward the object "doctor".

Note: cross-posted here, but no one could make sense of the word: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/flinched.4095893/#post-21045506

Context is always important. Reread the sentence that comes before the "flinched" sentence. It tells you all you need to know.

Context is always important. Reread the sentence that comes before the "flinched" sentence. It tells you all you need to know.
I have, and it still doesn't make sense. If it makes sense to you, could you explain it to me?

I'm a bit confused about the word "flinched" in this context. ...
This is my take.

People flinch or wince easily when they have a nervous breakdown. Young Danforth has a nervous breakdown. Even so, he has managed not to flinch--by a touch, by a noise, by a shadow etc--so people won't ask him what's wrong, which won't lead to further prodding, which often results in a person telling the source of his/her breakdown--in Danforth's case, the secret they want to keep.

And also, from a grammatical aspect, does "flinch" here goes with "doctor", like the word "babble"?
Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not flinched.
Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not babbled to his doctors. (This also means Danforth has managed to keep secret.)

This is my take.

People flinch or wince easily when they have a nervous breakdown. Young Danforth has a nervous breakdown. Even so, he has managed not to flinch--by a touch, by a noise, by a shadow etc--so people won't ask him what's wrong, which won't lead to further prodding, which often results in a person telling the source of his/her breakdown--in Danforth's case, the secret they want to keep.

Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not flinched.
Even young Danforth, with his nervous breakdown, has not babbled to his doctors. (This also means Danforth has managed to keep THE secret.)
Exactly!

You might have thought that if they wanted to discourage people from going there they would have told people how horrible the experience was, but they didn't do that. Instead they decided to keep it to themselves.

Context is everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back