Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is each interpretation correct?

1. Even though you are ugly, I love you. - factual, you are actually ugly, but I love you.
2. Even if you are ugly, I'll love you. - predictive or possibility, I haven't met you, but even in the possible case of your being ugly, I 'll love you.
3. Even if you were ugly, I would love you.- counterfactual, You are pretty, but even in the opposite case, I would love you.

Looks correct to me, though the second case is awkward in spite of being acceptable. A better formulation would be "2. Even if you do prove to be ugly, I will still love you." This assumes the personality is already known, presumably through correspondence. Or, "2. If you are ugly, when we meet, I'll still love you."

Is each interpretation correct? Yes, but I would be interested in the listener's reaction to #1 and if the speaker has recovered from his/her injuries. :shock:

1. Even though you are ugly, I love you. - factual, you are actually ugly, but I love you.
2. Even if you are ugly, I'll love you. - predictive or possibility, I haven't met you, but even in the possible case of your being ugly, I 'll love you.
3. Even if you were ugly, I would love you.- counterfactual, You are pretty, but even in the opposite case, I would love you.

b.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back