Equipment & information, singular or plural

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

Some nouns cannot have plural form. Are equipment & information two of them? Could you show a couple more? A search of the Internet still shows a couple thousands of "Lots of informations," and some "lots of equipments." Are they wrong?

Microsoft Word flags "informations" as a spelling error, but not "equipments."

Thanks.

BMO

bmo said:
Some nouns cannot have plural form. Are equipment & information two of them? Could you show a couple more? A search of the Internet still shows a couple thousands of "Lots of informations," and some "lots of equipments." Are they wrong?

Microsoft Word flags "informations" as a spelling error, but not "equipments."

Thanks.

BMO

One should be careful about saying "never" when it comes to language. Webster's lists a plural form for both words, although they would be used very rarely. Thare is a meaning of "information" that means a gard jury complaint. In this sense, one could have "informations". It is possible to pluralize "equipment" but it is rarely done. The two factories contained similar equipments (the singular also works).

I agree with Mike. We would most likely say I need some some information and not I need some informations. Also, we would say I need some equipment and not I need some equipments.

:)

Information & equipment

Thanks to both of you. Hope I can keep what I learn. BMO

I did once see 'information' used in the plural- in Gulliver's Travels, which is a couple of hundred years old. Still, it is the only time I have actually seen it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back