[Grammar] English

• Thread starter TariqC
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,751
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TariqC

Can you tell me if this word is correct in this sentence... the word invoilable. The ring was not worth a great deal of money to someone else, but its sentimental value to the family made it invoilable.

Can you tell me if this word is correct in this sentence... the word invoilable. The ring was not worth a great deal of money to someone else, but its sentimental value to the family made it inviolable.

Now it should be correct.

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

Cheers!

Can you tell me if this word is correct in this sentence... the word invoilable. The ring was not worth a great deal of money to :?:anyone:?: else, but its sentimental value to the family made it invoilable.

:-?

If you don't mind some corrections;

The ring may not worth a great deal of money to someone else, but it has a sentimental value that makes it inviolable to the family .

PS: I would prefer the word "invaluable" over "inviolable" in the sentence to make it sound more natural.

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

About anyone and someone:
In my opinion he should use someone if it was only one person.
If the ring was not worth to several persons (and probably it won't be worth to anyone), then anyone else could be better.

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

Cheers!

If you don't mind some corrections;

PS: I would prefer the word "invaluable" over "inviolable" in the sentence to make it sound more natural.

***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***
You are absolutely right, "inviolable" doesn't really make sense in that sentence, "invaluable" does.

You are absolutely right, "inviolable" doesn't really make sense in that sentence, "invaluable" does.

What about "someone" or "anyone"? I would choose "anyone" because it is inside a negative sentences so it seems to me more appropriate.
Thank you:roll:

What about "someone" or "anyone"? I would choose "anyone" because it is inside a negative sentences so it seems to me more appropriate.
Thank you:roll:

Yes, I would choose "anyone" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back