Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I saw this review below, is there anything wrong with the English? It seems like written by a Canadian and I thought they should have good English.

Reginald A. Smith
3.0 out of 5 stars Mirror too small on stick, too smal to use!
Reviewed in Canada on July 4, 2021
Size: Round Inspection Mirror |Extends: 10 to 36"Verified Purchase
In future shipping, could your people deposit the items in mail box on side of the house named Lane Way House. Please take picture of item in mail box or if too big, put below mail box in car port!
Cheers
Reg Smith

source: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...irror/product-reviews/B00J833ON0?pageNumber=2

It could easily have been written by a native speaker. Not all native speakers have good written English. Also, bear in mind that some Canadians have French as their mother tongue (admittedly, that seems unlikely for someone called Reginald A Smith).

It could easily have been written by a native speaker. Not all native speakers have good written English. Also, bear in mind that some Canadians have French as their mother tongue (admittedly, that seems unlikely for someone called Reginald A Smith).
What would the correct English of the review be?

Reginald A. Smith
3.0 out of 5 stars Mirror too small on stick, too small to use!
Reviewed in Canada on July 4, 2021

In future, shipping, could your people deposit the items in the mail box on the side of the house named Lane Way House? Please take a picture of the item in the mail box or, if the parcel is too big, put it below the mail box in the car port!

Cheers
Reg Smith

As you can see above, the writer mainly just omitted articles. The English really wasn't as bad as you seem to think it was. It's perfectly understandable. I think they probably wrote it quickly, and they might have been under the impression that there was a limit to the number of characters they could use.

If it's a real review, he needs to take his internet security more seriously. He's just publicly told everyone where he lives and where he gets deliveries! I doubt there are many houses with that name. He'd be far too easy to track down.

When I’m going out and expecting a delivery, I often leave a note on my door saying ‘Please leave parcel in porch’.

If the delivery man complained that I should have written ‘in the porch’, I’d say ‘Get a life, dude’.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back