Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi, can someone please check the following sentences? Thank you.

Long synopsis
Working as a stripper to make ends meet, Destiny's life changes forever when she becomes friends with Ramona, the club's top money earner. Ramona soon shows Destiny how to finagle her way around the wealthy Wall Street clientele who frequent the club. But when the 2008 economic collapse cuts into their profits, the gals and two other dancers devise a daring scheme to take their lives back.

Short synopsis
Based on a New York magazine article, tells the story of a group of strippers who developed a scheme to steal money from their clients.

Hi, can someone please check the following sentences? Thank you.

Long synopsis
Working as a stripper to make ends meet, Destiny's life changes forever when she becomes friends with Ramona, the club's top money earner. Ramona soon shows Destiny how to finagle her way around the wealthy Wall Street clientele who frequent the club. But when the 2008 economic collapse cuts into their profits, the gals and two other dancers devise a daring scheme to take their lives back.

Short synopsis
Based on a New York magazine article, Hustlers tells the story of a group of strippers who develop[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] a scheme to steal money from their clients.

The second synopsis is better. However, I don't understand most of the first one.

The second synopsis is better. However, I don't understand most of the first one.

For the Long version, can you be more specif which line make you confuse while reading it?

Long synopsis

The first sentence is OK. (I had to guess that Ramona is also a stripper.) As for the second sentence, what does "finagle her way around" mean? Also, what do you mean by "take their lives back"? (Do they quit their jobs as strippers?)

The first sentence is OK. (I had to guess that Ramona is also a stripper.) As for the second sentence, what does "finagle her way around" mean? Also, what do you mean by "take their lives back"? (Do they quit their jobs as strippers?)

Thank you for the generous feedback.

1. The first sentence is OK. (I had to guess that Ramona is also a stripper.)
Yes.

2. for the second sentence, what does "finagle her way around" mean?
This is like, to teaching her to do something bad to gain something.

3. Also, what do you mean by "take their lives back"? (Do they quit their jobs as strippers?)
They didn't quit the job, but they started to play some cheating games.

She used her sexual attractiveness as a lure to enable her to get money from men. They didn't get their lives back. They just got better at swindling.

You have work to do.

(I hope you get out of the habit of thanking people in advance.)

Thank you for the generous feedback.

1. The first sentence is OK. (I had to guess that Ramona is also a stripper.)
Yes.

2. for the second sentence, what does "finagle her way around" mean?
This is like, to teaching her to do something bad to gain something.

3. Also, what do you mean by "take their lives back"? (Do they quit their jobs as strippers?)
They didn't quit the job, but they started to play some cheating games.

Try this:

Inspired by a true story, Hustlers follows Destiny, a young stripper struggling to make ends meet. That is, until she meets Ramona, the club’s savvy top earner, who shows her the way toward making big bucks. But when the 2008 economic collapse hits their Wall Street clientele hard, Destiny and Ramona concoct a plan with their fellow strippers to steal money from their rich, Wall Street clients. They start off successful, but things quickly begin to spiral out of control.

Inspired by a true story, "Hustlers" features Destiny, a young stripper struggling to make ends meet. That is, until she meets Ramona, the club’s savvy top earner, who shows her the way toward making big bucks. But when the 2008 economic collapse hits their Wall Street clientele hard, Destiny and Ramona concoct a plan with their fellow strippers to steal money from their rich, Wall Street clients. They start off successful, but things quickly [STRIKE]begin to[/STRIKE] spiral out of control.

I can't help wondering why Destiny was having trouble making ends meet. Was she not getting much in tips?

As for their regulars, if you are feeling an economic pinch you can always quit going to the strip club.

While watching the movie, who were you rooting for- the girls or their marks?

I can't help wondering why Destiny was having trouble making ends meet. Was she not getting much in tips?

As for their regulars, if you are feeling an economic pinch you can always quit going to the strip club.

Destiny is not very successful at collecting money from the raucous.

I don’t have an answer for this, i'm sorry.

Inspired by a true story, Hustlers [STRIKE] follows [/STRIKE] features Destiny, a young stripper struggling to make ends meet. That is, until she meets Ramona, the club’s savvy top earner, who shows her [STRIKE] the way toward making [/STRIKE] how to make big bucks. But when the 2008 economic collapse hits their Wall Street clientele hard, Destiny and Ramona concoct a plan with their fellow strippers to [STRIKE] steal money from [/STRIKE] swindle their rich, Wall Street clients. They start off successful, but things quickly begin to spiral out of control.
Try that.

I like how to make big money. But I much prefer spiral out of control to begin to spiral out of control.

Gaya, by "English movie" do you mean a movie that's in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back