Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Could you please correct my sentence? Should I use ''in'' or ''with'' in it?

1. ''She moved to the countryside and became engaged with/in gardering.''

In.

Of course, you can also say: "She moved to the country and started gardening."

"engaged" really doesn't work there.

She became interested in gardening.
She became involved in/with gardening.
She took up gardening.
She started gardening.
She discovered gardening.

"engaged" really doesn't work there.

She became interested in gardening.
She became involved in/with gardening.
She took up gardening.
She started gardening.
She discovered gardening.

Oh, no! I used with and the countryside in my essay. ''She moved to the countryside and became engaged with/in gardering.''

There's nothing wrong with "to the countryside" in BrE. "to the country" works too.

There's nothing wrong with "to the countryside" in BrE. "to the country" works too.

I could only find one mention of ''become engaged with''.
prepo.PNGprepo3.PNG

It's a shame you didn't do that search before using it in your essay. ;-)

It's a shame you didn't do that search before using it in your essay. ;-)

You are right! I should be more careful with my choice of prepositions. But it's still a relief that this mention exists.

The preposition wasn't really the problem. The problem was "engaged" connected to "gardening". They just don't collocate well.

You are right! I should be more careful with my choice of prepositions. But it's still a relief that this mention exists.

It shouldn't be a relief. You should not assume that the prepositions can be used interchangeably and that one is more natural than the other. That is not the case.

As I see it, your use of engaged with shows two inaccuracies. The first was using the word engaged (a relatively minor inaccuracy) and the second was using the preposition with (a very minor error).

Are you implying that your essay is to be assessed? By whom? Are you a student?

I could only find one mention of ''become engaged with''.
And it's used in a sense which was appropriate in 1832 but is now archaic. In the quote, it means "commenced a military engagement/battle with".

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a relief. You should not assume that the prepositions can be used interchangeably and that one is more natural than the other. That is not the case.

As I see it, your use of engaged with shows two inaccuracies. The first was using the word engaged (a relatively minor inaccuracy) and the second was using the preposition with (a very minor error).

Are you implying that your essay is to be assessed? By whom? Are you a student?

I am not a student. I use English File and Reading Challenge. Both books have many writing exercises. I find them very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back