Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I'm a hypochondriac and I spent a month or so in many hospitals last month. When I was confirmed that I am okay physically, I met a person. I told him that I was getting depressed and sick of my mood and he said I should be grateful for my anxiety because it encourages me to be strong. I then wrote "My anciety encourages me to be strong".

I wonder if my sentece is natural.

I have moved your thread.

When you want your own writing to be edited or proofread, please post it here in Editing & Writing Topics.

I have moved your thread.

When you want your own writing to be edited or proofread, please post it here in Editing & Writing Topics.

Last time I asked a question here and someone moved it back to Ask A Teacher. I sometimes don't understand how these forum work, but thank you very much!

Hi.

I'm a hypochondriac and I spent a month or so in many hospitals last month. [STRIKE]When I[/STRIKE] After it was confirmed that I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was okay physically, I met a [STRIKE]person[/STRIKE] man. I told him that I was getting depressed and sick of my mood and he said I should be grateful for my anxiety because it encourages me to be strong. I then wrote "My anxiety encourages me to be strong".

I wonder if my sentence is natural.

Note my corrections above.

Your sentence is OK (if you spell "anxiety" correctly). It's good that you can look at anxiety in this positive way.

My anxiety encourages me to be strong.

I don't see how that could be. Anxiety is something to be overcome, to be managed. It doesn't make you stronger.

My anxiety encourages me to be strong.

I don't see how that could be. Anxiety is something to be overcome, to be managed. It doesn't make you stronger.

Dear Tarheel, I tried to overcome it in the past 15 years and failed. Now, I've realized how important it is to make friends with it. We will never get rid of anxiety, but we can choose to learn from the failure of the past of dealing with it.

Dear Tarheel, I have tried to overcome it for the past 15 years and failed. Now, I've realized how important it is to make friends with it. We will never get rid of anxiety, but we can choose to learn from the failures of the past, and deal with it.

You have developed a successful strategy.

Silverobama, I failed to explain why I changed "many" to blue and underlined it when I wrote post #2. It seems unlikely that you had time to be admitted to many hospitals in the space of one month. It would be difficult even to use "several" there. Just stick with "I spent last month in hospital".

The sentence is fine for me. It would be even more positive if you changed the verb to makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back