Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Are the words "ethical" and "emotional" unnecessary in my sentence? I am not going to use both of them but I think I should remove both and say "It is" or "This is my opinion."

"Hunting is an atrocity. It should be banned everywhere. It is my emotional/ethical opinion."

How about:

In my opinion, hunting is an atrocity.

I think I should remove both
You're right. That phrasing is unnatural.

Forget about "emotional".

Try:
I vehemently disagree with hunting. It is unethical, atrocious, barbaric and should be banned.

Are the words "ethical" and "emotional" unnecessary in my sentence? I am not going to use both of them but I think I should remove both and say "It is":cross: or "This is:tick: my opinion."

"Hunting is an atrocity. It should be banned everywhere. It is my emotional/ethical opinion."
See above. It's not very natural either way, but only "this" works at all.

Emotional opinion isn't natural. We simply say we have feelings: I think hunting is atrocious. That's how I feel.

Ethical opinion is a little better. But it's more straightforward and natural to simply say that hunting is unethical: I think hunting is atrocious and unethical. That's how I feel.

In general, our feelings and opinions aren't ethical or unethical. We have feelings and opinions about whether external things/people/practices are ethical or unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back