Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't quite understand the meaning of "full support". It seems to me that if the support is full, then Elon Musk will support no one else for 2020 president.

Is this the case?

==================

Kanye West tweets he's running for president in 2020, Elon Musk offers 'full support'

Kanye West announced with an Independence Day tweet that he intends to run for president in 2020 – 122 days before the Nov. 3 election.

The news was received with memes of disbelief and endorsement, including from his wife, Kim Kardashian West, who tweeted an American flag emoji, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who tweeted, "You have my full support!"

USA TODAY has reached out to West's representative for comment or elaboration.

Source: USA Today July 4, 2020
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...-day-tweet-running-president-2020/5378807002/

Yes, that's part of it. It also means that he'll contribute a lot of time or money.

Yes, that's part of it. It also means that he'll contribute a lot of time or money.

Or that he's having Kanye on, if I may borrow a British idiom. (I promise I'll give it back when I'm done with it.)

Or that he's having Kanye on, if I may borrow a British idiom. (I promise I'll give it back when I'm done with it.)
Yikes. Musk is such a bizarre guy that I was taking it seriously.

Does "is having Kanye on" mean "is willing to have Kanye on his back/willing to support Kanye"?

Does "is having Kanye on" mean "is willing to have Kanye on his back/willing to support Kanye"?
No. Have you looked up the idiom have someone on?

No- it means joking with him- lying for entertainment. Anything's possible with Mr Musk.

No. Have you looked up the idiom have someone on?

have-someone-on
Verb
(UK, colloquial) To trick or deceive deliberately; to play a prank.

have-someone-on
Verb
(UK, colloquial) To trick or deceive deliberately; to play a prank.

Good. Remember to look up words and expressions before you ask about them. Feel free to ask if, after careful study, you can't find a definition that makes sense — but tell us what you've found and why you don't think it works.

Imagine the two of them as a dream ticket. :shocked!:

Would Elon Musk be his running mate?

I did read it as a suggestion in an online paper. He didn't offer to be. I didn't know that he wasn't American.

I did read it as a suggestion in an online paper. He didn't offer to be. I didn't know that he wasn't American.

He's ineligible because he was born in South Africa and neither parent was American. He later naturalized as an American, but you have to be a "natural-born citizen" to qualify for the office. He wasn't born a citizen so he'll have to limit his leadership to the business sector.

I didn't know that he wasn't American.

He is South African-born American. Both president and vice president must have been born in the U.S. So Elon Musk is not qualified to be a running mate of a presidential candidate.

He is South African-born American. Both president and vice president must have been born in the U.S.
Not exactly. They have to be natural-born citizens. People with American parents who are born abroad can qualify.

Not exactly. They have to be natural-born citizens. People with American parents who are born abroad can qualify.

George W. Bush had a speech when visiting China titled "You Can Be the President of the United States" - I feel being misled by him. The "natural-born" condition defies your tremendous efforts and talent if you don't meet the God-bestowed condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back