[Idiom] Egbert isn’t the sort of name most fellows would be seen dead in a ditch with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

booklovers

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#45208]Egbert isn’t the sort of name[/FONT][FONT=&#45208] [/FONT][FONT=&#45208]m[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]ost[/FONT][FONT=&#45208] f[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]e[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]ll[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]o[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]w[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]s [/FONT][FONT=&#45208]w[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]ou[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]l[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]d be s[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]een[/FONT][FONT=&#45208]dead in a ditchwith[/FONT][FONT=&#45208].

In the above sentence the narrator is insinuating the name "Egbert" is not a common name, but what exactly the above sentence means?
How does the idiom 'dead in a ditch with" be in another situation, for example ?

It is from the novel 'Grey Mask' by Patricia Wentworh in 1929.

(I am not a native English speaker.)[/FONT]

The author is being critical of the name, either because it is unusual or unpopular.

Thank you so much.

Dead in a ditch has a certain poetical quality to it.

I've more often heard a similar idiom: 'I wouldn't be caught dead...' as in: 'I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something like that!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back