Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,

This is one sentence from a recommendation letter.

During the three years in which I have known Xie, I have had the pleasure of instructing her in 3 Hebrew language courses.

Is the part in bold natural?

Yes, but write 'three' later instead of '3'.

I suggest on not in.

I take it you're talking about the second "in". Even so, I prefer "in".

I don't see anywhere where on would work.

Because you instruct someone in something, not on something.
Or at least that's what seems natural to me.

Because you instruct someone in something, not on something.

You instruct someone in something, yes, when the 'something' is the subject or area of instruction. Here, the something is the course, which is quite different.

It's not natural to say in a course. (If there are contexts where this may be appropriate, I can't think of any.) The normal preposition is on.

You instruct someone in something, yes, when the 'something' is the subject or area of instruction. Here, the something is the course, which is quite different.

It's not natural to say in a course. (If there are contexts where this may be appropriate, I can't think of any.) The normal preposition is on.

She was a student in three Hebrew courses. I instructed her in each of them.

I disagree. Even if we're talking about a course, I would choose "in" not "on".

Hello,

This is one sentence from a recommendation letter.

During the three years in which I have known Xie, I have had the pleasure of instructing her in 3 Hebrew language courses.

You don't need in which.

She was a student in three Hebrew courses.

I'd consider that incorrect. It sounds very unnatural to me to use in there. (But then again, also with on.)

Would you also say I'm enrolled in a course or We're in the same course? If so, fair enough. If not, why?

I disagree. Even if we're talking about a course, I would choose "in" not "on".

In only this sentence or do you mean more generally? Could you explain why?

Would you also say I'm enrolled in a course or We're in the same course? If so, fair enough. If not, why?
In is natural for me in both cases. I can't think of another preposition that would be possible.

Last edited:

I beg to differ. I find "on a course" to be unnatural, and consider "in a course" to be the normal way of saying it. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Would you also say I'm enrolled in a course or We're in the same course?
Absolutely.

Assuming Xie is the applicant's surname, I would recommend:

"During the three years in which I have known Ms. Xie, I have had the pleasure of instructing her in three Hebrew language courses."

Recommendation letters for universities tend to be quite formal. It's true that "in which" can be left out, but leaving it in adds to the formal feeling of the letter.

I find "on a course" to be unnatural, and consider "in a course" to be the normal way of saying it. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Perhaps so. Interesting.

I have had the pleasure of instructing her in three Hebrew language courses.
'On' sounds more natural to me.
I wonder if something like being on course, is influencing your opinion on this. To me, "course" in the OP basically means program/class. Thus, "in the class" and "in the program" are natural.

Yes, in an academic setting, the word "course" heavily overlaps in meaning with the word "class". So "I took three math courses last semester" means the same thing as "I took three math classes last semester."

"He earned top grades in my course" = "He earned top grades in my class".

This is further complicated, though, by the word "class" also meaning "graduating class"; i.e., all the undergraduate students in the university who are scheduled to graduate in the same year. So "He graduated ranked first in his class" would refer to the entire graduating student body that year.

I wonder if something like being on course, is influencing your opinion on this.

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

To me, "course" in the OP basically means program/class.

To me: program can be treated similarly in use and meaning to course, yes. So with respect to appropriate preposition, I would say that I'm on a program (not in). The word class,however, is treated differently in use and meaning. To me (and I'd say to all British English speakers I know), one can't be on a class. British English speakers don't tend to use the word class to mean course. That is being on a course and being in a class are not exactly synonymous. They have similar but essentially different meanings.

Thus, "in the class" and "in the program" are natural.

As I've suggested, for me only in the class and on the program are natural.

Yes, in an academic setting, the word "course" heavily overlaps in meaning with the word "class".

There's some overlap, yes, but it's the nature of the overlap that we view differently.

So "I took three math courses last semester" means the same thing as "I took three math classes last semester."

Well, the former sounds wrong to me. You did (not took) three math courses last semester. Doing a course and taking a class are not synonymous.

"He earned top grades in my course" = "He earned top grades in my class".

I don't agree with this equation because for me, class and course are not synonymous.

This is further complicated, though, by the word "class" also meaning "graduating class"; i.e., all the undergraduate students in the university who are scheduled to graduate in the same year. So "He graduated ranked first in his class" would refer to the entire graduating student body that year.

Okay, that makes sense. This is the 'normal' use (the use that I'm using) of the word class. In fact, I think it shows the basic sense of class as referring to the members of a differentiated group very well.

There is clearly a varietal difference of use here. It seems that in US English, there is not such a clear boundary between class and course as there is in British English.

N

Well, the former sounds wrong to me. You did (not took) three math courses last semester. Doing a course and taking a class are not synonymous.

I don't agree with this equation because for me, class and course are not synonymous.

Could you explain the difference between "course" and "class" in BE? Does a course consist of many classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back