Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't think "driving music" makes sense. I am talking about the music that is good to listen to when you are driving. Does "suitable for" and "If I want silence" sound idiomatic?

"I like electronic and driving music, which is suitable for intensive training and fast driving. If I want silence, I listen to classical music. Jazz is also ideal for relaxation."

Perhaps: "While I'm driving I like to listen to something jazzy" (or something like that).

If you want silence, you most likely want to listen to nothing at all. Perhaps: "When I want something soothing and relaxing I listen to classical music" (or something like that).

I have no problem with "driving music", used in the right context.

Whenever I make the 200-mile journey to Edinburgh to visit my parents, I listen to Meat Loaf all the way up in the car. It's great driving music.

Perhaps: "While I'm driving I like to listen to something jazzy" (or something like that).

If you want silence, you most likely want to listen to nothing at all. Perhaps: "When I want something soothing and relaxing I listen to classical music" (or something like that).
But does this sentence sound natural? Can I use it? I mean this one: "If I want silence, I listen to classical music." I mean "If I want silence" and "suitable for"?

… and there’s a great deal of very noisy classical music.

@Rachel Adams You have now been told the same thing three different ways. (My mom used to say, "Stop being so stubborn, and do what I tell to do." 😊)

I didn't say you can't call it "driving music". However, there is no such musical genre, so it could be anything.

"She loves that driving beat
As she goes walking on down the street
Wham a lamma bam a lamma
Rock and roll is king."

Jeff Lynne, ELO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back