Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
How do I describe someone talking with prolonged vowels because they're cheerful?

E.g. 'Hello, my little one,' she drawled/lilted cheerfully when she saw the baby.

Drawl
was my first choice, but then I saw on online dictionaries that it describes a lazy way of speaking, which is not what I'm looking for. Then I found lilt, but there is very little info about the latter online.

So, what verb should I use here?

We often call the southern US accent a drawl, and singsong accents lilts. Neither seems suitable for your context. How about "she cooed"?

We often call the southern US accent a drawl, and singsong accents lilts. Neither seems suitable for your context. How about "she cooed"?

I can't find much info about coo either. Let's hear other opinions too.

I can't find much info about coo either.
I only looked at the first four dictionaries here and they all gave that use of the word in that very context.

I only looked at the first four dictionaries here and they all gave that use of the word in that very context.

But I want to describe someone speaking with prolonged sounds. Does coo convey that meaning?

By "prolonged sounds" do you mean they draw out their syllables?

By "prolonged sounds" do you mean they draw out their syllables?

Mostly their vowels. Drawl is the only word that I know and describes this, but online dictionaries say that it describes a lazy way of speaking. If drawl is the only word available, should I use it and modify it with an adverb to show that I don't mean a lazy way of speaking (e.g. drawled cheerfully)?

Mostly their vowels. Drawl is the only word [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] I know that describes this, but online dictionaries say that it describes a lazy way of speaking. If drawl is the only word available, should I use it and modify it with an adverb to show that I don't mean a lazy way of speaking (e.g. drawled cheerfully)?

It's hard to say. I guess you could use "drawled cheerfully", but I'm sure there are other (and better) ways of indicating that a person is cheerful. A smile is one way. The words they use is another. (Added: If you insist on using "drawl" then "drawled cheerfully" works just fine.)

Lots of people like the accent (Southern). To indicate that you might say something like: "He spoke with a delightful Southern drawl."

:)

P.S. Since coming to Charlotte I haven't met very many people who speak with a genuine Southern accent.

But I want to describe someone speaking with prolonged sounds. Does coo convey that meaning?

Do they always speak with prolonged sounds or just because of the baby?

Do they always speak with prolonged sounds or just because of the baby?

There are many cases in which I want to describe someone speaking with prolonged vowels, e.g. because they're scared at that moment or because they're babytalking.

I suggest that you use the words themselves rather than a word to describe the words.

There are many cases in which I want to describe someone speaking with prolonged vowels, e.g. because they're scared at that moment or because they're babytalking.

That's not a drawl/lilt to me, which are characteristics of accents, especially regional ones. Coo works for a one-off case.

That's not a drawl/lilt to me, which are characteristics of accents, especially regional ones. Coo works for a one-off case.

Does coo indicate prolonged vowels?

Also, one more question: In third person, is it coos or cooes? I saw both of them in examples.

Thanks, but I'm still troubled. The dictionaries say that cooing is a quiet way of speaking (not what I'm looking for) and they don't say anything about prolonged vowels.

I think if anyone had come up with a word for what you're describing, they'd have said so after 16 posts. We don't have a word for absolutely everything!

I think if anyone had come up with a word for what you're describing, they'd have said so after 16 posts. We don't have a word for absolutely everything!

Then should I settle for drawl or describe it in a circumlocutory manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back