Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If a son is spinning around his daddy on a revolving chair just for a prank, can the daddy say "Don't torture daddy"? In Korean, parents usually call themselves "daddy" or "mommy" when addressing to their kids as "I" would sound kind of awkward for both the parents and the kids. Is it the same in English?

ex)Don't toture daddy!(me)

Last edited:
(Not a Teacher)
Yes, sometimes parents over here refer to themselves in the third person when talking to their own children.

Younger children only, though. My teenage daugthers would be quite amused if I suddenly started saying things like "Show Mom what you're working on" or "Bring that book to Mommy, please."

I've heard spouses refer to each other as "Mother" or "Father", in to old age, even when the children are not present.

Husband (to his wife): "Mother, would you like some tea?"

Hahaha!!! We do the same thing in Korea, My wife sometimes calls me like that, and when she mentions both me and my father-in-law, both of us get confused by two different "father".

I've heard spouses refer to each other as "Mother" or "Father", in to old age, even when the children are not present.

Husband (to his wife): "Mother, would you like some tea?"

Another Beatles quote, from She's Leaving Home:

'....She breaks down and cries to her husband 'Daddy, our baby's gone...''

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back