Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This also took place at the English club. I was chatting with Lychee's (yes, it's not a standard English name) older sister. During our conversation, I mentioned Lychee and I asked Lychee's sister a question "Does she (Lychee) have a boyfriend?" then Lychee's sister point to Lychee. I didn't want Lychee to know this so I said to her sister "Don't point at her (or she'll know we're talking about her)." All of these took place in a friendly circumstance. Lychee is my friend.

Is it natural to say "Don't point at her" in this context? If not, what can I say instead? Perhaps "Hush, hush!"?

"Don't point/look at her" is fine. "Hush, hush" doesn't make sense in the context. It means "Be quiet."

There are too many Lychees in your preamble. You could reduce the number by giving her sister her own name—Kumquat, for example.

This also took place at the English club. I was chatting with Lychee's (yes, it's not a standard English name) older sister. During our conversation, I mentioned Lychee and I asked Lychee's sister a question. "Does she (Lychee) have a boyfriend?" Then Lychee's sister pointed to Lychee. I didn't want Lychee to know we were talking about her, so I said to her sister "Don't point at her (or she'll know we're talking about her)." All of this took place in a friendly circumstance. Lychee is my friend.

Is it natural to say "Don't point at her" in this context? If not, what can I say instead? Perhaps "Hush, hush!"?

It's natural enough.

Last edited:
So does she have a boyfriend? When are you two getting married?

Ah, a classic movie trope....

Our Protagonist starts out as best friends with someone who is in the same school/job/neighborhood/English club. Protagonist then develops romantic feelings for the Best Friend, but is afraid to ask if the feelings are reciprocated, for fear of ruining the friendship and alienating the friend. Meanwhile, the Best Friend dates/has one night stands/pines away for/studies with a string of unfaithful/insincere/meaningless/monolingual conquests/suitors/peers/tutors, none of which fulfill their emotional needs/really cares for them/helps them learn English. The Best Friend seeks solace/confides/shares woes/studies with/to the Protagonist, who offers good advice and a shoulder to cry on, while silently thinking "Why can't Best Friend recognize that we'd be perfect for each other?"

Finally comes a major traumatic event, where the Protagonist makes a major sacrifice/endangers their own life/goes above and beyond to save/rescue/defend/teach participles to the Best Friend, who finally realizes that true love had been right beside them all along. (Insert future life together montage here OR insert flashback montage to all the subtle hints they both missed). Realization dawns on both their faces as they lock gazes then kiss. End scene, roll credits.

English Club: The Conjugated Fruits of Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back