Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I'm trying to improve my Engish listening skills. I listen to BBC Radio 4 Extra every day. I listen to BBC podcast as well. I also listen music -I do love music.
It doesn't matter what a genre of music I prefer, but I don't understand anything in this song: Eminem - Buffalo Bill - YouTube (it's not a clip).
I can't catch any of the words when I'm listening to it without the lyrics.

When I listen to BBC Radio I'm not trying to actively listen to every word it's playing as background noise. Is this way correct?
However, when I'm listening to BBC podcasts, I give them my undivided attention.

What is wrong with my listening skills? Does he have perfect pronunciation? What can you suggest for me?

Thanks.
Boris.

(Please correct my mistakes if you can)

Last edited:
Hello.

I am trying to improve my English listening skills. I listen to BBC Radio 4 Extra every day. I listen to BBC podcast as well. [strike]Evidently,[/strike] I also listen to music - I do love music.

It doesn't matter what a genre of music I prefer, but I don't understand anything in this song: Eminem - Buffalo Bill - YouTube (it's not a clip).
I can't catch any of the words when I'm listening to it without the lyrics.

When [strike]I'm listening[/strike] I listen to BBC Radio I'm not trying to [strike]hear something[/strike] actively listen to every word, it's playing as background noise. Is this way correct?
However, I [strike]have extremely undistracted attention[/strike] when I'm listening to BBC podcasts, I give them my undivided attention.

What is wrong with my listening skills? Does he have perfect pronunciation? What can you suggest for me?

Thanks.
Boris.

(Please (no comma required here) correct my mistakes if you can.)

Please see my amendments above. Most importantly, note that it is "listen to something".

As we have said over and over again on this site, listening to song lyrics really isn't the best way to learn English or improve your comprehension. Lyrics are frequently ungrammatical, have a strange rhythm, are written in a certain way in order to rhyme and are frequently not well-enunciated. I can assure you that as a native speaker, I have great trouble understanding rappers - admittedly, I get most of what Eminem says but not all of it. There is no such thing (in my opinion) as perfect pronunciation. Eminem has a pretty strong accent.

I would really recommend only listening to proper spoken English. BBC news broadcasts, podcasts, webcasts, TED videos, English-speaking TV shows and films (if they're not full of slang and non-standard English).

I've rewritten my message. I hope I didn't harm your eyes :-D
I'm sorry that I forgot about "listen to something" it was a huge mistake.

What do you think about listening to BBC Radio as background noise?

It's actually not very helpful for you to go back and edit your post after you've seen my amendments! Other learners could have learnt a lot by reading your original post and then looking at my corrections. Never mind, you've done it now.

I thought you probably knew that "listen to sth" was correct - I was surprised at that error.

I recommend listening to any English-speaking radio station as background noise. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of stations available online. If you mix them up, you will get a variety of accents too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back