Don't get impatient. She will be coming / come soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Don't get impatient. _______________
(A) She will be coming soon.
(B) She will come soon.
According to Ho's Complete English Grammar (p577), there is no difference in meaning between option A and B.
Do native speakers agree with that?

It depends what Mr Ho means by 'no difference in meaning'.

I think I agree with Mr Ho, so I hope @jutfrank will expand a little on his answer.

I hope @jutfrank will expand a little on his answer.

The two sentences differ in aspect. For me, that's necessarily a difference in meaning, but I understand that some people might not consider aspect to contribute to what they think of as meaning. It really depends what you mean by meaning.

From a pragmatic point of view, which is usually the best point of view to adopt here on this forum, you could say that both utterances have the same effective meaning in that they have the same illocutionary force. In other words, they both 'do the same thing', which is primarily to allay the listener's impatience.

According to Ho's Complete English Grammar (p577), there is no difference in meaning between option A and B.
Do native speakers agree with that?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back