Current Location
Spain
This is the dialogue from an American movie released in 1946:

Sam: How are you?
Harry: Fine.
Sam: And the mistress?
Harry: Oh, she's wonderful.
Sam: Good.
Harry: Good boy, you're sure in the doghouse weather.
Sam: Why?
Harry: What's the matter with you, anyway? Don't you answer phone calls anymore?

What does doghouse weather mean in this context?

Of course, Sam doesn't work in a dog pound, he is a soldier coming home after serving in the Pacific during WWII.

Attachments

• Doghouse2.mp3
    202 KB
Last edited:
This is the dialogue from an American movie released in 1946:

Sam: How are you?
Harry: Fine.
Sam: And the [STRIKE]mistress[/STRIKE] missus?
Harry: Oh, she's wonderful.
Sam: Good.
Harry: [STRIKE]Good[/STRIKE] But boy, you're sure in the doghouse with her [STRIKE]weather[/STRIKE].
Sam: Why?
Harry: ​Hey! What's the matter with you, anyway? Don't you answer phone calls anymore?

What does doghouse weather mean in this context?

Of course, Sam doesn't work in a dog pound, he is a soldier coming home after serving in the Pacific during WWII.

See above. Missus is how we pronounce "Mrs." It was once common for Americans to refer to a man's wife, informally, as his "missus". You can still hear it occasionally.

Being in the doghouse with someone else is being in bad graces. Harry must have recently seen Sam's wife, and she expressed anger towards her husband.

When your wife is angry, you can't sleep in the house. You have to go sleep outside in the doghouse.

It's not meant literally (except in Peter Pan).

Last edited:
I completely disagree. Kids can be in the doghouse with their parents, employees can be in the doghouse with their manager, people can be in the doghouse with their friends.

As you can see above and from the original recording, the slightly odd thing about it is that we say "XXX is in the doghouse with YYY", which makes it sound as if the two people are both in the doghouse. They're not. Only XXX is in the doghouse, put there by YYY. XXX is the one who is in trouble. YYY is the one who is angry.

I completely disagree.

Then it is probably a regional difference in usage. I believe the "with" phrase is never heard where I live. Certainly I have never heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back