Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I'm not sure whether I'm using the didn't feel right expression correctly below. I can't find it on any dictionary. Is the sentence below correct?

I could escape and I knew she would be okay. Still though, it didn't feel right to me to leave her behind now that she was having a panic attack.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether I'm using [strike]the[/strike] doesn't feel right [strike]expression[/strike] correctly below. I can't find it [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in any dictionary. Is the sentence below correct?

I could escape and I knew she would be okay. Still, [strike]though,[/strike] it didn't feel right [STRIKE]to me[/STRIKE] to leave her behind now that she was having a panic attack.

See above.

You won't find a three-word expression like that in a dictionary. Use Ngram instead.

Also, you asked us if you were using "doesn't feel right" correctly and then used "didn't feel right". Make sure you ask us about the exact words you're trying to use.

See above.

You won't find a three-word expression like that in a dictionary. Use Ngram instead.

Also, you asked us if you were using "doesn't feel right" correctly and then used "didn't feel right". Make sure you ask us about the exact words you're trying to use.

So is still though wrong? I have seen it used many times.

Why is it wrong to specify that this doesn't seem right to me?

Only one word was crossed out. The word "though" doesn't fit there.

It's not so much that it's wrong. It's implied, so it isn't necessary.

If I say something feels wrong I mean it feels wrong to me.

"Still" and "though" mean the same thing there. It's tautologous. Please provide links to some of the "many times" you've seen "Still though" used that way.

"to me" is unnecessary. It's clear that it was you who felt that it didn't feel right.

It's still tautologous though.

In those examples "though" is used much the same way "uh" might be used. In other words, the speaker/writer hesitates a bit before continuing with the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find most of the examples in your first link unnatural and tautologous. Also, no source is given for any of those examples. When you said you'd seen it used many times, I thought you meant you had come across it in actual pieces of natural writing, not that you'd gone and searched on purpose. There's only one there that seems natural to me: "We hope still, though, ...". There, "still" means "continuing at the current time", not like a form of "however". The rest, as Tarheel said, are superfluous/tautologous.

I consider the use in the second link tautologous too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back