Member Type
Other
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I write "Document will be moved into a folder based on matching names" or "based on matching name"?I always think that the word matching always implies action against more than one items.

Thank you

BWT

Last edited:
Re: Does the word "matching" always follows by plural

Can you explain a little more?

Barb_D, thank you for your reply. I guess I am mixing two questions into one. My fist question is pretty straight forward: I am trying to write this statement in my document and have a small confusion regarding the word "matching". Should I write "Document will be moved into a folder based on matching names" or "Document will be moved into a folder based on matching name"?
My second question: Is it fair to always use plural noun after the word "matching"? After all "matching" implies a comparison between more than one items. Thank You

In the context you are asking about, 'matching names' appears to be correct, but 'matching' is not always followed by the plural.

'I am wearing a blue shirt with a matching tie.'

Barb_D, thank you for your reply. I guess I am mixing two questions into one. My fist question is pretty straight forward: I am trying to write this statement in my document and have a small confusion regarding the word "matching". Should I write "Document will be moved into a folder based on matching names" or "Document will be moved into a folder based on matching name"?
My second question: Is it fair to always use plural noun after the word "matching"? After all "matching" implies a comparison between more than one items. Thank You

My living room wall is green. I am looking for a sofa in a matching color.

[h=1]Does the word "matching" always follows by plural :cross:[/h]Is the word "matching" always followed by plural nouns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back