Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Portugal
Does "I got it" mean "I have got it"?

If so, can I say: "I aten the food once" instead of "I have eaten the food once" ?

In spoken English:

can I say: "Why you made your mother angry?"

or or I should "did", "Why you make your mother angry?"

Thanks a lot!

Does "I got it" mean "I have got it"?
I think it does not in a context like 'I got it but lost it afterward'.

If so, can I say: "I aten the food once" instead of "I have eaten the food once" ?
I think 'ate' and 'have eaten' emphasize that it is a past event and a life experience respectively.

In spoken English:

can I say: "Why you made your mother angry?"

or or I should "did", "Why you make your mother angry?"

No. You used a correct question form when you wrote can I say. Can you revise the two questions you quoted so they use the correct form?

They can mean the same. The 'got' in the first sentence is past simple, not a third form (past participle).
No. 'Aten' is not an English word. If you meant 'eaten' in your first sentence, that is incorrect. You need 'ate' (past simple) or 'have eaten' (present perfect).Neither is correct. You need to say "Why did you make your mother angry?"

(Crossposted with GS)

Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry for being unclear.

When we use "I get it" to mean "I understand something", does "I got it" means "I have got it"?

Because I saw some places say sometimes "I have got it" is shorten to "I got it"

But in my class, I also heard my teacher ask "Did you get it?". Why not ask " Do you get it" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back