Does he mean the contraction is so extreme that even "to" disappears?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does he mean the contraction is so extreme that even "to" disappears? So, I am going to a bar or a supermarket will be I am going a bar and a supermarket. Right?

7:22 Is it a more "radical" way of pronunciation than "going to" becoming "goin't"?

He's simply trying to describe what they're saying. Have you listened really carefully to the way they say those sentences? Can you hear the actual words "to" and "the" in them?

Does he mean the contraction is so extreme that even "to" disappears? So, I am going to a bar or a supermarket will be I am going a bar and a supermarket. Right?
I don't think that's a very good resource for learning good pronunciation. He is exaggerating the effect with the result that what he says is not typical. That YouTube channel would not be one that I would recommend.

He's certainly exaggerating but he made an interesting point. Most BrE speakers who aren't from Yorkshire, if asked to do an impression of a Yorkshire person saying "I'm going to the bar", would channel their inner Jodie Whitaker/Sean Bean and say what sounds like "I'm gurn tuh(glottal stop) bar". The point he seemed to be making was that if a true Yorkshire person said that sentence, you wouldn't even hear the "tuh" ("to"), let alone a sound to represent "the".

"
He's certainly exaggerating but he made an interesting point. Most BrE speakers who aren't from Yorkshire, if asked to do an impression of a Yorkshire person saying "I'm going to the bar", would channel their inner Jodie Whitaker/Sean Bean and say what sounds like "I'm gurn tuh(glottal stop) bar". The point he seemed to be making was that if a true Yorkshire person said that sentence, you wouldn't even hear the "tuh" ("to"), let alone a sound to represent "the".
Do you mean that the combination of "Tuh" is not a true glottal stop. Instead, the glottal stop replaces "t" entirely?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. A person imitating a Yorkshire accent would probably say "tuh" followed by a glottal stop, to represent "to the". The men in the video seem to be saying that a native of that area wouldn't even really audibly say something to represent "to". When one of them says "I'm going to the bar", it almost sounds like "I'm going bar" with just a tiny fraction of space/sound between "going" and "bar" but it's impossible to transcribe what's between those two words.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back