Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I've written a question about final vowels and now I come here again with another one :)

I've heard that "many English sounds are articulated in your throat". Is it true? I'm not so sure about it, because I think that "talking in your throat" would hurt, but I've tried and if I do I can pronounce correctly words that were impossible for me first.

I'm waiting for your opinions :) I'm ready to explain if I weren't clear!

I think an explanation might help.

Can you give us an example of something pronounced in the throat?

Are you referring to places of articulation - where sounds are produced? I guess it depends what you mean by 'throat', but there are still only 5 'throat' sounds in English.

English has a voiceless glottal stop /Ɂ/, represented by the pause between the two syllables in the interjection 'uh-oh', and a voiceless glottal fricative /h/, as in 'high'. Glottal sounds originate near the epiglottis.

Those are as deep in the throat as you can go in English. However, English also has some velar consonants such as /k/ as in 'cake' , /g/ as in 'go', and /ŋ/ as in 'sing'. These are produced at the vellum, at the very back of the mouth/top of the throat.

Is this what you mean?

Why not record some sounds and let us hear?

English also has some velar consonants such as /k/ as in 'cake' , /g/ as in 'go', and /ŋ/ as in 'sing'.
Italian also has those sounds, so I'm not sure whether that's what the OP means.
/k/ - che, chi, chianti, words in 'ch', 'ca', 'co', 'cu'; /g/ words in 'gh', 'ga', 'go', 'gu'.
I'm not sure about /ŋ/.

Here's an article on articulation with illustration of post-velar sound sites. I can't think of any in English that Skrej hasn't mentioned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_of_articulation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back